Agenzia DOLCI SOGNI by Coop. Soc. IL SOGNO a r.l.
Autorizzato Prov. Roma R.U. 1333 del 02/04/2012
 
TERMS OF PAYMENT

Hotels and Accomodations from 20 euro.
Booking online

or call +39 06 8530 1758
 
 

. Romeguide - La guida di Roma  
  telefono 06.85301758 - fax 06.85301756 - EmailEmail: ilsogno@romeguide.it
Coop. soc. IL SOGNO arl - Viale Regina Margherita 192 - 00198 ROMA
. the best guide of Rome
.
WHERE TO SLEEP divisore TOURS OF ROME divisore EXHIBITIONS divisore MUSIC divisore THEATER divisore VATICAN divisore GUIDED TOURS divisore SPECIAL GROUPS
spazio
GUIDED TOURS
Main monuments of Rome
Villa d’Este a Tivoli

Per prenotazioni :


COOPERATIVA IL SOGNO
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. 06/85.30.17.58 Fax 06/85.30.17.56
Email: service@romeguide.it


INFO ONLINE

 

Villa d’Este in Tivoli

Villa d'Este in Tivoli is a masterpiece of the Italian Renaissance and is included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, with the impressive concentration of fountains, nymphaeums, caves, water games and hydraulic music constitutes a model repeatedly emulated in the European gardens of Mannerism and Baroque.


Prices

Full price € 13.50 included agency fees.
Reduced € 8.50 included agency fees.

TIMETABLES

From hr.8.30 to hr.19.45 (last entry at hr.18.45).
Monday opening hr.14.00;
free entry for residents of Tivoli and adjacent municipalities (Castel Madama, Guidonia Montecelio, Marcellina, San Polo dei Cavalieri, San Gregorio da Sassola, Vicovaro, with the exception of Rome).

EXTRAORDINARY EVENING OPENING 2018

Friday and Saturday from June 15th to September 29th 2018
Last admission at 9.45pm (September 9.15pm)
Closing at hr.22.45 (September 21.45)
Closing days: Monday morning, January 1st and December 25th, except for extraordinary openings on project

The garden must also be considered in the extraordinary landscape, artistic and historical context of Tivoli, which presents both the prestigious remains of ancient villas such as Villa Adriana, and a territory rich in ravines, caves and waterfalls, symbol of a millennial war between stone and waters. The imposing buildings and terraces above terraces suggest the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the wonders of the ancient world, while the water supply, with an aqueduct and a tunnel under the city, recalls the engineering skill of the Romans.
Cardinal Ippolito II d’Este, after the disappointments for the failed papal election, revived the splendor of the courts of Ferrara, Rome and Fointanebleau here and revived the magnificence of Villa Adriana. Governor of Tivoli from 1550, he immediately caressed the idea of ​​creating a garden in the steep slope of the "Vallejoudente", but only after 1560 the architectural and iconological program of the Villa was clarified, conceived by the painter-archaeologist-architect Pirro Ligorio and built by the court architect Alberto Galvani.
The rooms of the Palace were decorated under the direction of late Roman Mannerists such as Livio Agresti, Federico Zuccari, Durante Alberti, Girolamo Muziano, Cesare Nebbia and Antonio Tempesta. The arrangement was almost completed after the cardinal's death (1572).

From 1605 cardinal Alessandro d'Este started a new program of interventions for the restoration and repair of damage to vegetation and plumbing systems, but also to create a series of innovations to the layout of the garden and the decoration of the fountains.
Other works were carried out in the years 1660 - 70, when Gianlorenzo Bernini himself was involved.

In the eighteenth century the lack of maintenance caused the decay of the complex, which worsened with the transfer of ownership to the Habsburg House. The garden was gradually abandoned, the hydraulic games, no longer used, fell into disrepair and the collection of ancient statues, dating back to the time of Cardinal Ippolito, was dismembered and transferred elsewhere.
This state of decay continued uninterrupted until the mid-nineteenth century, when Cardinal Gustav von Hohelohe, obtained in emphyteusis the villa from the Dukes of Modena in 1851, began a series of works to remove the complex from ruin. Thus the villa began to be a cultural reference point, and the cardinal often hosted, between 1867 and 1882, the musician Franz Liszt (1811 - 1886), who right here composed Water games at Villa d'Este, for piano , and held one of his last concerts in 1879.

At the outbreak of the First World War, the villa became part of the properties of the Italian state, was opened to the public and completely restored in the 1920s-30s. Another radical restoration was carried out, immediately after the Second World War, to repair the damage caused by the bombing of 1944. Due to the particularly unfavorable environmental conditions, the restorations have since followed one another almost uninterruptedly in the last twenty years (among these it should be noted at least the recent restoration of the Organ Fountains and the "Song of Birds").

 

Piazza Trento, 5
Tivoli (Tivoli)
06/85301758