Museum:Museo storico della Liberazione
Type: HISTORICAL MUSEUM
address: Via Tasso, 145, 00185 Roma RM
Da martedì a domenica: 9.30 - 12.30
Martedì giovedì venerdì: 15.30 - 19.30;
Lunedì: CHIUSO; aperto anche se di lunedì: 8 settembre, 16 ottobre, 23 novembre, 27 gennaio, 25 marzo, 25 aprile, 1 maggio, 2 e 4 giugno.
Altre chiusure: Natale, Capodanno, Pasqua, SS. Pietro e Paolo, mese di AGOSTO (dal 01-08 al 31-08) riapertura il 01-09 (se non è lunedì);
INGRESSO: Libero (è gradito un contributo volontario alle spese del Museo, da versare direttamente nella cassetta all’ingresso del Museo); gruppi superiori a 10 persone, prenotazione obbligatoria anche senza visita guidata;
Servizi per disabili (gratuiti): accesso per disabili con montascale e ascensore (si consiglia di prenotare); servizi igienici dedicati;
Servizio audioguide: gratuito (è gradito un contributo volontario alle spese, da versare direttamente nella cassetta all’ingresso del Museo)
Guardaroba (gratuito): deposito bagagli ingombranti presso il servizio vigilanza;
COOPERATIVA IL SOGNO
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. 06/18.104.22.168 Fax 06/22.214.171.124
The “Museo storico della Liberazione” (Historical Museum of the Liberation) was set up in the spaces of the building that, during the months of Nazi occupation of Rome (September 11, 1943
- June 4, 1944), was used as a prison by the Security Police Command (SIPO) and the Service of safety (SD) of the SS in Rome.
After the occupation of Rome, the building of Via Tasso 145-155 that already housed the German Embassy Cultural Office, became the seat of the Service of safety command “Sichereitdienst” (SD, Security Service) and of the “Sicherheitpolizei” (SIPO, Security Police) under the command of lieutenant colonel Herbert Kappler.
It was the place where people were taken, even without cause, interrogated, detained and tortured, and where you could go out but only as transit to the Regina Coeli prison or to the Court of war (prison sentences in Germany or execution at Fort Bravetta). Other alternatives were the deportation or, as happened to many, the transfer to the Fosse Ardeatine.
That was the destiny of over 2. 000 rate between men and women (over 350), partisans, soldiers and ordinary citizens. After the Liberation, the building was occupied by displaced people, until in 1950 the owner donated it to the State four apartments with the explicit clause that the Historical Museum of the Liberation must be created there.
It was effectively inaugurated on June 4, 1955 and established as a free public institution in accordance with the law April 14, 1957, n. 277.
Opened June 4, 1955, inspired by the military memorials, and established as independent public institution with the law April 14, 1957, n. 277, the Historical Museum of the Liberation “has to ensure to the national heritage the most complete and orderly documentation of those historical events in which the focus is on the struggle for the liberation of Rome during the period September 8, 1943
- June 4, 1944”.
Today it offers to us:
- A collection of relics, documents, photographs, artifacts, works of art.
- A collection rich in underground press, posters, flyers and first editions of memories of occupied Rome.
- About 600 square meters of covered area, accessible to persons with disabilities, not yet air-conditioned.
- 18 exhibition halls.
- A conference and video projections room.
- A computer and audiovisual lab with over 400 original recordings and 200 commercial ones.
- Showcases and supports for small-scale works made in 1955 in poor shape with communicative forms of the '50s.
- Captions and panels in Italian and thematic cards in English for each exhibition hall.
- On request, in the thematic room of the deportation of the Jews can be projected "Jews in Rome 1943-44" with survivors interviews (45 ') (in Italian language). Only with reservation.
The museum is included in the "Portal of Memorials" of the memorial of the assassination of the European Jews (Stiftung Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas –Berlin) and is part of Sites of Conscience, International Coalition.