Museum:Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant’Angelo
Type: ART MUSEUM
address: Lungotevere Castello, 50
Headquarters of the National Museum since 1925, houses collections of art and history, and memories of the Italian army in a monumental frame restored for the occasion.
Castel Sant'Angelo, a symbolic monument of the Roman practice of "reuse" of ancient buildings of Rome, is located on the right bank of the Tiber, not far from the Basilica of San Pedro.
To the monuments are attributed three basic areas that consist of the Roman ruins of the imperial mausoleum: spiral ramp with four giant respirators, the Hall of polls aimed at the ashes of the imperial family, with three overlapping circles drawn at the end of the cylinder, and the castle (with round guard and four bastions dedicated to the evangelists) and the papal apartments (where little gems represented by the chapel of Pope Leo X and Clement VII were found).
All together, constitutes a framework of time and content of the exhibition, with heterogeneous collections of sculptures, paintings, marble, weapons, furniture and objects from various sources, partly recovered in the excavation of the mausoleum spiral ramp, transferred from the National Museum of the Roman Baths of Diocletian and dissolved by the Museum of Industrial Art, purchased in the antiquities market and following the exhibitions that were held to celebrate the Universal Exhibition of 1911.
Menotti and Contini Bonacosi spread in the halls of the historic apartments according to a criterion museum "style furniture": the heterogeneity of the works corresponds to the preciousness of the authors among which distinguishes Crivelli, Lotto , Dossi and Signorelli, while the core of the collection of sculptures is the 'Stone Angel' by Raffaello da Montelupo, now located in the Courtyard of Honor, but until 1752 it was on top of the castle and linked to the medieval legend according to which at the time of Gregory the Great, his appearance caused the cessation of the plague.
The collection of arms is placed in the rooms of Pius IV, on top of the building, (affected by a new production still unfinished), there exposed weapons, equipment and uniforms from the fifteenth to the nineteenth.
Room Adriano and Festoni
Closed to the public for some years, the two rooms can be visited after the restoration work began in June 2007.
They are over 60 square meters with friezes on the walls, floors and ceilings of wood, stone elements, systems, etc.
The aim is not only to preserve the decoration, also significantly improve the quality of use of the surroundings of the monument in its entirety.
With the restoration of two friezes, made between July 1544 and July the following year by Luzio Luzi, and the help of Prospero Fontana, it is discovered the variety and intensity of the original colors, and diagnostic tests allowed us to identify materials used and the techniques adopted, which contributed to a better understanding of the different hands of the artists who worked on the project.