Museum:Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini
Type: ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
address: Via Quattro Novembre, 119a
PRICE OF THE TOUR
Full: EURO 16.50 agency fees included.
Reduced: 12.50 euro agency fees included for visitors aged between 6 and 25 years of age and over 65 years Provinz card holders.
Free for children under 6 years old; disabled with guide, tour guides in the province of Rome.
Every day from 9.30 to 17.30
Closed: Tuesday, December 25, January 1, May 1.
For safety reasons, tickets are limited.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREA OF THE DOMUS ROMANE
The archaeological excavations under Palazzo Valentini open to the public on a permanent basis from October 16, 2010 and the new archaeological area of the Domus Romane will enhance the art and historic heritage of Rome.
The project for the recent works, the research and the conversion of the area into a museum carried out by art historians, archaeologists and architects, working together with the Provincial Government, has achieved excellent results that reveal the importance of this area during the Roman era and provide new information on the ancient and mediaeval topography of the city of Rome.
The evocative tour runs through the ruins of the patrician Domus of the imperial era that belonged to powerful families of the times, perhaps senators.
The houses are decorated with mosaics, wall paintings, polychrome and paved floors, and other artefacts.
Piero Angela and a team of engineers and experts, such as Paco Lanciano and Gaetano Capasso, have enhanced the site and revived the past by creating virtual reconstructions, visual effects and films.
Visitors will be able to see the walls, rooms, peristyles, baths, receiving rooms, decorations, kitchens and furniture coming back to life and experiencing a virtual journey inside an important ancient Roman Domus.
For completing the tour, a large plastic model of the area that it appeared in Roman times, showing the various stages of Palazzo Valentini.
Esta maqueta permite a los visitantes visualizar las numerosas estratificaciones históricas y colocarse dentro de la trama urbana.
Es un ejemplo único e importante de cómo el patrimonio arte del pasado, que se ha recuperado de un proceso de restauración y recalificación cuidadoso y escrupuloso, se puede mejorar gracias al uso de tecnología innovadora.
Works on Palazzo Valentini started at the end of the 16th century and was promoted by Cardinal Michele Bonelli, nephew of Pope Pio V.
The cardinal had supported a vast operation to reclaim the area of the Fori Imperiali.
At this stage, building might have been supervised by Brother Domenico Paganelli who designed the trapezoidal plan of the edifice.
It was closed off from piazza SS.Apostoli by an elegant facade, and in the 17th century a series of conversions and extensions were commissioned by Cardinal Carlo Bonelli.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the palazzo was rented to Prince Ruspoli and his family and, among others, was lived in by the composer G.F.Handel.
In the mid 18th century, the entire building was purchased by Cardinal Giuseppe Spinelli who housed the vast library of the Imperial Forum consisting of more than twenty four thousand books, and opened its doors to the public.
In 1827 the building was purchased by the banker Vincenzo Valentini who turned it into his residence and promoted the completion of the works towards the Forum.
In 1873, after the palazzo became the property of the Provincial Deputation of Rome, renovation works were carried out and new extensions were added to turn it into the Provincial Council headquarters.
Adults: 11,50 + agency fees
Concessions: 9,50 (visitors aged 6-25 and over 65 years old and Provinz Card holders) + agency fees
Free Admission: children under 6 years old, disabled citizens with an accompanying carer.
Schools: 4,00 per student + 12,00 per class + agency fees.