Museum:Serra Moresca di Villa Torlonia
address: Via Lazzaro Spallanzani, 1
The Moorsih Greenhouse i located in Villa Torlonia at Roma.
The greenhouse was build in 1840; Later, in 1905, were made the first changes to the expansion of the back to build the gardener's house, which was later used by employees.
With a first draft of Giuseppe Jappelli, the greenhouse was designed in 1839 in the plan that predispose that year with an 'factory within which is located and the cave and the Armory and the Nymphaeum and Indian Pagoda', the same year becomes a sketch.
A project of the pagoda is preserved in the Public Library of Padua, however Jappelli chose the Moorish style for greenhouse construction perhaps influenced by the picture book of James Murphy Canavah 'Arab antiquities Spain' published in London in 1816 and placed in the Vatican Library, Jappelli recommended Giacomo Caneva their cooperation during the construction of the greenhouse.
The reason for this choice lies in the will of Jappelli to propose to Villa Torlonia, as the gardens of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia, one reason for the period of Ludovico Ariosto.
Two projects of the greenhouse in color were received from Jappelli dating from 1842, but the original series includes six projects with annotations for Caneva.
The main facade has seven compartments, with albanian stone columns with Moorish recorded.
All compartments were marked by polychrome windows topped by hexagonal columns of cast iron.
The entrance is on the smaller side of the building with two marble lions on the sides, now missing, and a Moorish arch pediment blue and gold stars and characters in relief Kufic-tamurei whose Italian translation is 'Prince Alessandro Torlonia and Teresa noble'.
Inside, a dresser with land used for plants topped by a dozen wooden columns that support the same or drapes and curtains support for festive decorations plants; even the ceiling was painted wooden support a transparent glass cover.
Jappelli had placed on the north side a floating panel with Moorish paintings, this wall had disappeared in 1905 as cited sources, travertine pools where the water is conducted to an amphora with the support of a female figure.
The tank is still in the same place, while the female figure has been transferred as a motif from a source located in northern perspective Casino dei Principi.
Moorish smaller building.
It is adjacent to the main building, smaller than this with Moorish decoration.
The entrance is formed by a horseshoe arch, originally intended to give access to the kitchen, with the facade decorated with frescoes.
Stands out a writing localized at the top of the gateway that could be translated as: 'May the blessing of God fall on Principe Alessandro Torlonia'.
In the greenhouse are recognizable influences of Murphy, as the lower part of the walls and pillars corner with decorations from the Great Mosque of Cordoba, Cast iron door with decorations taken from the Alhambra in Granada and tanks supported by small lions, which are almost a miniature version of the source of the ‘Patio de los Leones’ in the Alhambra.
The tower is located on the east side of the greenhouse, unfortunately only the walls remain standing.
It was accessible inside the tower through a staircase that drive to three rooms divided into three floors: a small room on the first floor, a kitchen on the second and a small room on the third floor.
Outside, there was a rundown iron that drove to a gallery, the tower was painted with ornamental motifs that simulated bricks; however, the interior was painted with yellow color and sky elements.
The windows were round or horseshoe, with Moorish motifs inlaid stained glass in the frames of cast iron.
The dining room was hexagonal, also with Arab decorations.
The stucco room was gold and silver with crimson colors and ultramarine blue, the windows were full of columns with arabesques of silver and cobalt blue, and other stained glass that adorned the rest of the room.
On the outside of each sill were small puddles of lead where the fish swam in the floor and ceiling had cartoons, behind walls had seats with Damascus clothes.
It was built by a Jappelli design in 1840, but demolished in 1908.
Today the cave is not visible due to two large rocks that rest on an elevated walkway that leads to a room attached to the base of the stairs of the tower.
The entrance to the cave is located near the entrance to the greenhouse above the door is debossed "Ninphae Loci".
The area to the right of the cave was connected with the building through the spiral staircase leading to the tower; inside the cave were small ponds, and halfway there was a walkway with wooden bridges.