Palazzo Venezia
via del Plebiscito, Roma
palazzovenezia_romeguide09.jpg

Info and reservation :

Cooperativa IL SOGNO
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. +39/06/85.30.17.58 - Fax +39/06/85.30.17.56
Email : service@romeguide.it

how to arrive
photo
info
vai alla versione italiana
The Palazzo Venezia is the name for a large palazzo (palace) in central Rome , just north of the Capitoline Hill . Its name recalls that it once served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice .

Begun in 1455, the building was one of the first Renaissance buildings in Rome; although it was built around the medieval tower at the right of its facade. Much of its stone was quarried from the nearby Colosseum , a common practice in Rome until recent centuries. It was originally inhabited by the Venetian cardinal , Pietro Barbo, who later became Pope Paul II . He supposedly had it built on this location in order to view the horse races in the adjacent Via del Corso .

The building became a papal residence, and Pope Pius IV gave use of much the building to the Republic of Venice for use as its embassy. Throughout the nineteenth century, the building was the seat for the Austrian ambassador to the Vatican .

In 1917, Italy regained possession of the building, and it was restored. Mussolini had his office in the Sala del Mappamondo, and used a balcony in the palazzo for many of his most notable speeches to people gathered in the Piazza Venezia below.

The Museo del Palazzo di Venezia is within the building. It contains galleries of art, predominantly pottery, tapestry, statuary and art from the Christian era up to early Renaissance.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The National Museum of the Palazzo di Venezia is housed in the grand building once residence of the Venetian pope Paul II Barbo (1464-1471), an art lover and collector and "moral" initiator of the future development of this museum. When he became pope in 1464, Pietro Barbo decided to convert the pre-existent modest house into an imposing palace and added in 1470 the large tower and the beautiful courtyard. Surviving to many events and, first of all, to the ravages of several wars, this building was selected in 1929 by Benito Mussolini as site of the Head of the Cabinet; the museum (established in 1921) was closed to the public and the visits allowed only by permission of the Police. Thanks to legacies and several public and private donations, the Museum of the Palazzo di Venezia has acquired year after year its status as an important museum of decorative arts.

1997-2007 ® Ticketeria S.r.l

HOW TO ARRIVE

Bus # 30, 40, 44, 46, 62, 63, 64, 70, 75, 81, 84, 87, 95, 160, 170, 186, 204, 271, 492, 571, 630, 715, 716, 780, 781, 810, 916

Info and reservation :

Cooperativa IL SOGNO
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. +39/06/85.30.17.58 - Fax +39/06/85.30.17.56
Email : service@romeguide.it

palazzovenezia_romeguide01.jpg
palazzovenezia_romeguide02.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide03.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide04.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide05.jpg
palazzovenezia_romeguide06.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide07.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide08.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide11.jpg palazzovenezia_romeguide10.jpg