|SANTO SPIRITO IN SASSIA|
|Borgo S. Spirito 1|
Its subsequent reconstruction and enlargement was apparently carried out by the architect Baccio Pontelli between 1471 and 1478. Such work was due to an initiative of Pope Sixtus IV, who was named â€œthe great builderâ€ because of he commissioned countless works. One of these works is the Corsia Sistina (Sistine Ward) adorned with a cycle of frescoes commemorating the history of the hospital, its rebuilding and the biography of this famous Franciscan pope. The majestic octagonal Tiburio divides the Sistine Ward (120 metres long) into two large halls. In its centre, there is an altar attributed to Palladio carrying inside a painting by Carlo Maratta (seventeenth century).
Under the pontificate of Pio V (1566-1572), the hospital structure was extended with the construction of the Palazzo del Commendatore. The latter was due to Monsignor Bernardino Cirillo and built by Giovanni Lippi alias Nanni di Baccio Bigio.
In the second half of the nineteenth century the Sistine Wardâ€™s two halls were named Sala Lancisi and Sala Baglivi. In fact, Lancisi e Baglvi were two renowned doctors who worked in the hospital.
Just passing the entrance, there is a wonderful marble portal called â€œPortale del Paradisoâ€ (heavenâ€™s door), attributed to Andrea Bregno
Info and reservation:
Cooperativa IL SOGNO a r.l.