Welcome at Palazzo del Quirinale
vai alla versione italiana

click here for guided tours & general informations



For all information and reservation please contact us :

"IL SOGNO"
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. 06/85.30.17.58 - Fax 06/85.30.17.56
Email : service@romeguide.it

Changing the Guard all days at 3.15 p.m. (4.00 p.m. holidays)

Quirinal Fountain

Quirinal fountain and obelisk with Roman statues of Castor and Pollux - the patrons of horsemanship - and their prancing horses stand in splendour in the Piazza del Quirinale. Over 5.5 m (18 ft) high, these statues are huge Roman copies of the 5th century BC, Greek originals. They once stood at the entrance to the nearby Baths of Constantine. Pope Sixtus V had restored and placed them here in 1588. Formerly known as the "horse tamers", they gave the square its familiar name of Monte Cavallo. The obelisk which stands between them was brought here in 1786 from the Mausoleum of Augustus. In 1818 the composition was completed by the addition of a massive granite basin, once a cattle trough in the Forum.

 


By the 1500s, the Vatican had a reputation as an unhealthy location because of the high incidence of malaria, so Pope Gregory XIII chose this superb site on the highest of Rome's seven hills as a summer residence for the popes. Work began in 1574. The Piazza del Quirinale has buildings on three sides while the fourth is open, giving a splendid view of the city to the great dome of St Peter's in the distance.

Romeguide:Palazzo del Quirinale - Position Map

Romeguide:Palazzo del Quirinale

Romeguide:Palazzo del Quirinale

Many great architects worked on the palace, before it assumed its present form in the 1730s. Domenico Fontana designed the main facade, Carlo Maderno the huge chapel and Bernini the narrow wing that runs the length of V ia del Quirinale . After the unification of Italy in 1870, it became the official residence of the king , then in 1947 of the president of the republic.

Below we can see the reproduction of the map made by Giovan Battista Falda published between 1678 and 1688.

mappa1.jpg (90270 byte)

click on the image to zoom


New exhibition space at Quirinal Stables whose facade makes up one side of this majestic square. The Stables  stand directly opposite the main entrance of the Quirinal Palace and were commissioned by Pope Innocent XIII Conti. He ordered the project to one of the greatest contemporary architect, Alessandro Specchi.....

Guided tours of romeguide - 

    click her for guided tours & general informations

New Exhibition Space at Quirinal Stables

 The Quirinal Stables once housed over one-hundred and twenty horses, for the exclusive use of the Pope and his guests. Among the major achievements of Baroque Rome, the Quirinal Stables were, until a few months ago, among the eternal city's many secret and inaccessible places, forever closed to the public. But as Jubileum approached, the idea of transforming this historic building into a unique exhibition space gradually became a reality. 

For all information and reservation please contact us :


"IL SOGNO"
Viale Regina Margherita, 192 - 00198 ROMA
Tel. 06/85.30.17.58 - Fax 06/85.30.17.56

Email : service@romeguide.it
home