The origins of the Botanical Garden of Rome can be traced back to the reign of Pope Nicholas III (1277-1280) with the establishment of a pomerium or orchard , founder of the long series of the Vatican gardens within which it developed the Botanical Garden .
In 1660 Pope Alexander VII strove for the University had its Botanical Gardens , freed from the Vatican and the site was located in an area behind the Fontana Paolina on the Janiculum .
Subsequently, in 1820 , the headquarters was moved to the Botanical Garden in the garden of Palazzo Salviati in Lungara , because he had adequate facilities for the cultivation of plants and , in 1873 , after the unification of Italy , in the garden of the former convent of San Lorenzo in Panisperna , in order to bring together all the scientific institutes in the area of the Interior Ministry .
Largo Cristina Di Svezia Roma (Gianicolo) 0649912436
settlement to the present location of the garden of Palazzo Corsini in 1883 , when the property passed to the State, with a commitment to the Academy of the Lincei in the building and that of the Botanical Garden in the garden.
The Botanical Garden , which grows in the archaeological site of the Baths of Septimius Severus and his son Geta , is characterized by the presence of significant architectural and historical interest and artistic houses collections of plant species, grown in the greenhouse and outdoors, high significance ( rare or endangered species ) and veteran trees .