Fumone is an Italian town of 2138 inhabitants in the province of Frosinone, in Lazio. Known for being the place of imprisonment for Pope Celestine V after the surrender of him to the papacy.
Pope Celestine V,
according to legend, the origins of Fumone date back to the time of Tarquinius Superbus (fifth century BC, who took refuge there after being driven from Rome.
It's known that, by virtue of its geographical location, and to be between the three major centers of the people of Ernici (Alatri, Anagni, Ferentino), the castle performs an important function since ancient times to control the territory . In particular, during the Middle Ages the hill of Fumone becomes crucial for the safety of Rome in times marked by Saracen and Norman. In the event of invasion picks up smoke signals sent that signal an impending danger from the most directly threatened,
and refers them Urbe. It was in this role you must name Fumone, and said: 'When Fumone smoke, shakes the whole campaign'.
In 1186 the Castle Fumone must defend themselves from the siege of Henry VI, but manages to keep up with him .
In 1295 he was imprisoned in the Castle Pope Celestine V, who had abdicated , by order of his successor, Boniface VIII, who feared the authorities and a possible return to the papal throne. Celestine died May 19, 1296, according to some murdered at the behest of the same Caetani.
The papal government, well aware of the importance of the small town, after having given to various feudal lords, from the middle of the thirteenth century remains the most direct control over the castle: in the sixteenth century Fumone reach the municipal autonomy.
At the end of the seventeenth century the castle passed into the hands of the Marquises Longhi, who still own it nowadays.
Monuments and places of interest
Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Annunziata
It is located in the historical center, its existence is certain since the year 1147 but has been completely transformed by the renovation works carried out at the end of the eighteenth century. It consists of a nave with an apse at its ending, a side ending in a chapel covered with a dome and a bell tower on the side.
The geometric layout and architectural style reveal the transformations over the years with the implementation of restoration that has completely changed the original temple. The current structure is the basilica with late Renaissance style with Baroque accents on newsstands memorial.
It consists of brick pillars that support a ribbed vaults in the nave and cross vaults in the aisle. Among the pillars that mark the spans were obtained newsstands memorial dedicated: in the nave to the visit of Pope Paul VI (1966) and the brotherhoods: the Rosary (1579), Sacramento (1702), the Protector (1723) and the Our Lady of Loreto (1518) in the aisle, where it is located the altar dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, whose holy image was brought to Fumone in 1886.
Inside are kept: an eighteenth-century marble altar with the choir, and a baptismal font of the twelfth century and works of art of fine workmanship including: the silver statue of the patron depicting St. Sebastian pierced by arrows of a Roman Officer, exquisitely made by the date Ruscono 1697, present the fresco on the ceiling of the nave depicting St. Peter Celestine V, assisted by two brothers in the apse and the impressive painting of the Annunciation, the work of Buttaragi dated 1786. During the celebration of the patron saint of the silver statue which houses the relics of the saint festivals, is presented in processional gilt wood dating from the seventeenth century.
Church of Our Lady of Grace
It was originally a shrine with images of exquisite workmanship at the intersection of the original road that branched off from Ferentino and branched off in the direction of Fumone and Alatri. With the construction of the Church paintings newsstand have found shelter from the elements, so that they are still well preserved. The historical source that documents the existence of a manuscript is Veceslao Canon Cocchi, chaplain of the Church.
Church of SS. Michael and Gaugerico.
The church located in the historic center, close to the Castle and the Roof Garden, dates back to the twelfth century and was built by Professor John Fumone, writer Apostolic of Pope John XXII in Avignon, recovering existing walls, maybe a convent or a tower.
On top of the door there was the emblem embossed in the field that had a screw and a bunch of grapes, while the bell -type sail, had a bell dated 1333 merged at the expense of that at the expense of John of Sweden who resided in Fumone.
The oil painting on the background of the main altar dates from the early eighteenth century and represents the French bishop S.Gaugerico. Worthy of mention is the monumental Gothic portal of the facade, on which it is possible to distinguish the remains of arches. With the passing of time, the Church was badly damaged so as to be accessible and remained closed for worship since 1891 until the completion of the work in July of 1909 by the parish priest Fr Angelo Celani.
In 1910, the same priest will put the picture of the Holy Virgin of the Rosary of Pompeii, by Master Vincent Cerica and in 1911 we established the Confranternita of the Rosary. The renovation work carried out in 1934 have completely transformed the features of the monument, while the painting executed in the sixties was covered with a fresco depicting the Archangel S.Miche present in the vault of the main nave. With the recent renovation and consolidation treated by arch. Victorinus De Carolis was also performed cleaning of the wall with the removal of accretions that has allowed us to give back to the ancient monument atmosphere .
Church of St. Peter Celestine V.
The church located in the village wells was commissioned and donated by Pope Paul VI, following the visit to Fumone of 1 September 1966. Was recently restored by the parish priest Fr Walter Martiello, with the material and financial aid community fumonese. It houses works by local artist Benedetto De Santis.